Looking for "New" MYM

Have a licensed copy? Need a file or disk image? Read this and get the help you need.
LizC

Looking for "New" MYM

Post by LizC »

I joined this forum just so I could ask this ...

Years ago, back when my only computer was a 286 on my desk at work (complete with amber monitor), I bought MYM (5?). I thought the software was wonderful, and kept updating it and getting the newsletters. Even after I switched to Macintosh in 1990, I ran MYM in a virtual DOS shell for about 5 more years. I got tired of the DOS shell about then, and moved on, first to Quicken, then Moneydance, and now, Mint.

But, as you guys know, nothing is as good as MYM. I don't like Mint much (their budgeting is useless), so I've been looking at other finance software. GnuCash is ok, but they don't directly import transactions from my bank ... and if I have to jump through hoops to get my transactions into software, what's so awful about running a DOS shell? I'd rather have MYM than software that's merely "adequate". I saw there's a DOS shell application for OS X, and I could run MYM in that.

I can't read my old floppies any more, so I was wondering is there's a place online where I can download disc images of a complete set of MYM floppies. MYM12 would be great, but any late-model version would do. In return, I can scan and upload my newsletters (once I find the binder -- I have them carefully saved).

Thanks,

--Liz

asajay

Re: Looking for "New" MYM

Post by asajay »

Hi Liz,

... and welcome. There isn't much traffic on here. I play both me (Asa) and the Administrator and got this thing going some years ago but I usually don't have a lot of time to play with it.

When I was researching ideas, I got in touch with Andrew Tobias about the copyrights. Someone out there somewhere still owns them and probably won't give them up for less than $100K in cash. BUT...

... as he told me, if you have a legal copy, you should be entitled to use that copy. I have copies of all versions going back to 7. I have a good copy of install disks for 12.

If you can take a photo or scan of your first install disk with the serial number and email it to me, I would be happy to provide you with a copy. Then you can play all you want to see if it's the right direction. :)

Asa Jay
Forum Sponsor and Prime Moderator.

LizC

Re: Looking for "New" MYM

Post by LizC »

Thanks!

My original install disks are buried in a box in the abasement, with the other floppies I kept. I may not be able to get to them soon, but when I do, I'll write you again.

And (when I find them) I can definitely help out by scanning and sending pdfs of the newsletters.

--Liz