Printing from MYM12 (DOS) on Win 7 Professional

Running DOS versions of MYM on Windows 7
Brad Lane

Printing from MYM12 (DOS) on Win 7 Professional

Post by Brad Lane »

Want to use MYM 12 (DOS) on a Win 7 computer?
Here's how I print reports and checks on this system through a Virtual PC running in XP Mode.

December 30, 2010

Printing from MYM on Dell Inspiron 570 computer
With Windows Professional – 64 bit (Host)
On Virtual PC in 32 bit XP Mode (Guest)

Install MS Virtual PC (see instructions on Microsoft website)
Install XP Mode (see instructions on Microsoft website)
In XP Mode, plug in printer and install printer driver (give it a name like Printer-Name XP Mode
Restart XP Mode
On Host system, identify port used by printer (for me it was USB001)

To enable printing to a USB port in XP Mode

1. On Virtual PC (Guest) computer, Click on USB menu and change printer status from shared to release
2. On Virtual PC (Guest) computer, click Start, Printers and Faxes, set default printer to Printer XP Mode AND SET PORT TO USB001. (Same as on Host system)
3. Click on printer icon to open print queue monitor, click on Printer, and remove check from “Use printer Offline” if checked.
4. Use Mike Starkey’s instructions for net use command to share printers.
(See below)
5. On Virtual PC (Guest) open the command prompt and types:
Net use lpt1: \\MYPC\MYPRINTER /persistent:yes
which redirects LPT1 output to a USB port.)
6. Verify that redirection status is “OK” by opening
a command prompt and typing net use.
7. If status for LPT1: is not “OK”, type net use lpt1: /delete, and then
net use lpt1: \\MYPC\MYPRINTER /persistent:yes
8. Open MYM,
Click on File, Program Settings, Printer and select type
that works with your printer (for my Dell Laser 1710 printer,
I use HP LaserJetI/II/III).
9. Print a test page.

To restore default settins
1. On Virtual PC (Guest) computer, open the command prompt and
type: Net use lpt1: /delete
2. On Virtual PC (Guest) computer, Click on USB menu and change printer status from release to shared

Mike Starkey’s Notes

MYM wants to print to LPT1:, which was always the printer connected to the parallel port (which few PCs have any more). But Windows networking will let you assign the name LPT1: to any network printer, and MYM works with such printers. Say your network printer name is MYPRINTER, on a PC named MYPC. Then run the following command (from a DOS window, or using the Start/Run menu choice):
net use LPT1: \\MYPC\MYPRINTER /persistent:yes

[Brad Lane Note: There is a blank space between shared-printer-name and forward slash “/”.]

“Now when you try to print from MYM, it works. I've been using this for years, under every version of Windows through XP (I haven't tried Vista yet). But, if you want to print to a local USB printer, not a network printer then the solution is emotionally dissatisfying, but it works: share the USB printer. You can do this with the Control Panel’s Printers and Faxes applet (see below). Once you share it, you can run the ‘net use’ command. I've done this for laptops, and it works with MYM.

“Here’s how you do the ‘share’ thing:

“Open the Control Panel and select Printers and Faxes. You should see a list or box of printers (or maybe only one). Right click on the printer you want to use, and select Properties from the pop-up menu that appears. The Properties window that opens has a lot of tabs, one of which is labeled ‘Sharing.’ Select that tab, and then click the radio button ‘Share this printer.’ It will fill in the blank for ‘Share name’ for you, but the name it fills in may be long and have spaces, which would make the ‘net use’ command harder to run later, so enter a short, easy to type name instead – perhaps ‘MYMPrint.’ Click the Okay button to close the Properties window. If you are running security software, it may pop up and ask if you intended to do what you just did, and you’ll have to say it’s okay.

“Next, you need to know your PC's name. (If you don't know it, use the Control Panel and select System, which will open a Properties window. Click on the tab labeled ‘Computer Name.’ The ‘Full computer name:’ will be displayed (always followed by a period that is NOT part of the name). Take note of it and cancel to close the window.

[Brad Lane Note: To make this work you need to get the computer name of the Virtual PC that XP Mode is working under. Mine was VirtualXP-71751. On XP Mode desk top, click on windows Explorer, select Computer, right-click and select properties. Then click on Computer Name tab. Write down name following Full computer name.]

“Suppose your computer name is called mypc. Finally, use Start/Run and type the command

net use lpt1: \\mypc\MYMPrint /persistent:yes

“And now MYM should print. I've been using the "net use" trick for years and years successfully, but with real network printers. The second level of the trick, of sharing a local printer and then "net use" it from the same PC, worked for me in the past but I haven't actually had a local printer on a laptop and used it lately.”

[Brad Lane Note: This procedure works on a Dell Inspiron 570 computer
operating on a Windows 7 Professional – 64 bit operating system with
MS Virtual PC and XP Mode.]