DOS MYM on Windows 7 32-bit

Running DOS versions of MYM on Windows 7
Bernie157

DOS MYM on Windows 7 32-bit

Post by Bernie157 »

After the demise of my 5 year old Gateway laptop's harddisk, we purchased a Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5839 laptop last Sunday on sale at Best Buy (USA only?) for $399.99.

It is quite full-function and the good news is that it comes with Windows 7 32-bit, which I didn't know until after I bought it because it isn't stated online that I could see. I ordered online for pickup in the store and only then did I see a display model that said 32-bit Win 7 on the sign.

So anyway, I'm a happy camper because I don't have to mess with a virtual XP under Win 7 to run MYM.
--------
Bernie in IL

Bernie157

Re: DOS MYM on Windows 7 32-bit

Post by Bernie157 »

As you may know from other posts on this forum or on the Compuserve forums, MYM for DOS will run natively on Windows 7 32-bit but not on Windows 7 (or I hear Vista) 64 bit. Even on 32-bit there are a few problems, like you can't hear sounds that MYM itself makes and you can't view MYM graphs.

A month or so ago I installed a free (shareware?) package called VirtualBox and then installed Windows XP under it, mainly in order to try to run MYM and see how it went. Be aware that in this environment the XP under VirtualBox acts like a real operating system; it can network (file-share and access Internet) with the system it is running on as well as others in your home network, etc., and needs its own anti-Virus and so forth. MYMBAK/MYM ran in this enviroment and allowed MYM to display Graphs but not make its sounds.

Yesterday I installed a free program called DOSBOX which is easy to install and easy to use. It makes the DOS environment more like native DOS including inability to use Windows shortcuts. I am able to start MYMBAK/MYM by CD'ing to c:\MYMBAK and invoking MYMBAK.BAT essentially like the Windows shortcut would have and using the same folders and files as running MYMBAK/MYM from the shortcut.

MYM is able to make its sounds and display its graphs within the DOSBOX window if, but it also allows running the whole thing to run fullscreen if you press Alt-Enter.

Bernie
--------
Bernie in IL

bex1210

Post by bex1210 »

Bernie:

You said:
>>Yesterday I installed a free program called DOSBOX which is easy to install and easy to use. It makes the DOS environment more like native DOS including inability to use Windows shortcuts. I am able to start MYMBAK/MYM by CD'ing to c:\MYMBAK and invoking MYMBAK.BAT essentially like the Windows shortcut would have and using the same folders and files as running MYMBAK/MYM from the shortcut.<<

I am still on XP, but will face the inevitable at some point. Will the DOSBOX run directly under Windows 7/32 bit, or did you have to run it under the XP clone you installed?

Also, do you know if the DOSBOX works on the 64 bit version?

Harry

Bernie157

Post by Bernie157 »

DOSBOX installs and runs directly under Windows, i.e. no need for VirtualBox or another copy of XP. Actually if you go to http://dosbox.com/download.php?main=1, you'll see versions for Mac OS, OS/2, several types of Linux, and other. You can install it under XP to try it out before you transition to Win 7. I can't speak for Win 7 64 bit as I don'[t have it but I'd assume it would work.

Check out the dosbox site including user forums.
--------
Bernie in IL

bex1210

Post by bex1210 »

Bernie:

Thanks. I''ll check it out.

Harry

jwhart

Post by jwhart »

My experience with DOSBOX under Windows 7 64-bit was VERY discouraging - so slow that if that was my only alternative, I would immediately switch to another financial app that would run under Windows 7 direct.

Cheers,

Jack

PS Also, you may print, even to a printer connected via USB, with DOSPRN under Windows XP Mode.

frustrated_user

Post by frustrated_user »

jwhart
Don't understand why mym ran slow under dosbox. I don't have any issue at all. There are some entries in the dosbox config file which can speed things up. You might check out the dosbox tutorial.
Regards
Walt

Bernie157

Post by Bernie157 »

jwhart wrote:My experience with DOSBOX under Windows 7 64-bit was VERY discouraging - so slow that if that was my only alternative, I would immediately switch to another financial app that would run under Windows 7 direct.
It also was quite slow for me on 32-bit. I still have a DOSBOX & MYMBAK/MYM set up but have mostly gone back to running "native".
--------
Bernie in IL

RLS2004

Post by RLS2004 »

What versions of MYM are you running with DOSBOX under Win7/32? Thanks for reporting success with sound, graphing and printing! I'm still running MYMDos ver 9 on an ancient DOS 6.2 system... Recently printer died and new printers are only USB! Will need to upgrade soon.
Thanks! RLS

bex1210

Post by bex1210 »

RLS:

You can still buy printers with parallel ports. I use a Brother 7820N laser all-in-one (still made). It has both ethernet and parallel ports. I have both connected. For all except MYM, I print via my network/ethernet. I installed a parallel port on my computer, and ran a parallel cable to the Brother. MYM prints to LPT1 just like I did in the DOS days. Works just fine. (Brother, like most printers, emulates HP4 laserjet, which MYM12 recognizes.) I'm sure you could run a parallel cable from your DOS system to the Brother, and hook up your normal computer to it via the ethernet connection. I'm not sure what happens if you try to print from both simultaneously--I have never tried it.

Harry

RLS2004

Post by RLS2004 »

Thanks for the printing advice, Harry. Do you print checks from MYM?
RLS

bex1210

Post by bex1210 »

RLS:

No I have never printed checks with MYM. Sorry.

Harry

Steve L

Post by Steve L »

Because I like MYM so well, I'd been afraid of upgrading to Windows 7, but I wanted to upgrade before MS stops supporting XP this spring. I added a new hard drive with Win 7 and left MYM and XP on the old drive. Then, I decided to give DOSBox a try from the 32 bit Win 7 drive. My on-screen fonts look better than they have since I left DOS. If you make no adjustments to DOSBox, it is painfully slow. However, hit CTR F12 about 15 times. That takes my cycles from 3,300 to 12,524 which makes the speed better than it was on the old early 90's DOS computer that introduced me to MYM, but it's probably not quite equal to my XP setup. DOSBox Documentation says if you try to speed up the cycles too much, it will actually slow the computer down. 15 taps makes it work great for me. Unfortunately, you have to tap CTR F12 15 times each time you sign in. I think DOSBox may allow a permanent speed up, but I haven't figured that out yet. I like the DOSBox on-screen fonts and crisp colors better than the sloppy Roman screen font (not Times Roman) that XP gave me, so I've stopped using the dual boot into XP. I believe the screen fonts XP gives us in MYM depends on the graphics card, so your XP setup may look sharper than mine did. The old XP drive receives one of my many backups.

Printing: Since DOSBox doesn't support printing, I do my work, save, and exit. I go back into MYM from Windows Explorer by tapping the file for MYM.exe (or MYM.bat) which opens a non-expandable box that can't be increased in size. From here I can print my checks or whatever in standard sized fonts. However, I can't print small fonts- I used 9 pt for some printouts.

A DOS boot disk: Wanting to do some year end printouts in 9 pt I took this to the extreme and dug out the old hard drive I'd kept from my deceased DOS/Win 3.1 computer. I modified the current computer's BIOS to boot from this old hard drive, and everything works perfectly in DOS with no adjustments or changes needed in the setup! I still have the same printer. My computer accepts both IDE and SATA drives which made this possible, but this is an option for other MYM fans who want printouts with small fonts or who want to work in original DOS with its screen fonts, speed, and print capabilities. When booted into the Win 7 disk, I updated the DOS disk's current data set and added a couple of missing years to bring the DOS disk's data up to date. When booted into DOS, I can't see the Win 7 disk. In all likelihood, I'll likely use this DOS disk only to print some year end reports, but I enjoyed the discovery and here are some options that may let you avoid the upgrade game or keep you in our limited MYM world. At this point I don't want to update my DOS, but if you set this up from scratch, consider FREEDOS which you can quickly Google.

Thanks for the info you guys have provided that helped me work out these details.

asajay

Post by asajay »

Steve,
There IS a way in DOSbox to set the speed parameter permanently. I can't recall exactly how to do it but it IS documented in the DOSbox files somewhere.

From what I can quickly find, there is a dos.cfg file. A section in that called cpu and settings in that section that help control speed.

Your method of disk swapping is also worthy of note. For years I maintained a desktop tower that had external swappable drives. I had a drive for 95, 98, XP and Linux. I'm not down to only a couple, but it's still good being able to swap drives like that.

Asa Jay
Forum Sponsor and Prime Moderator.

dpdapper

Post by dpdapper »

Hi all,

I'm also trying to make the transition from XP to Win 7 32-bit. I was able to migrate MYM over without much problem, except that I can no longer run it full screen as I was able to do in XP--which, by the way, runs on a Mac using Parallels Desktop for Mac to create a virtual machine. Win 7 is also running on a separate VM on my Mac.

I've attached screen shots of my existing configuration running on XP. (They uploaded in reverse order). The last is the XP desktop without MYM running. The second is with MYM when it initially opens. The first shows MYM running full screen, which is achieved by clicking the upper right corner of the window, which is the usual method of changing a window to full screen on a Mac. The problem is, I can't remember how I did this, or if this is simply how a DOS program runs natively in the particular combination I have (XP running under Parallels on a Mac.) I've looked at the properties of the shortcut for MYM and program itself, and they are all the default settings.

Anybody have any ideas if this can be made to work in Win 7 running in a VM? Or should I just be happy that MYM works so well for me under XP (and is the only thing I use Windows for). I can even print checks, too!

Thanks!

David
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-03-28 at 3.44.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-03-28 at 3.44.01 PM.png (160.63 KiB) Viewed 8033 times
Screen Shot 2014-03-28 at 3.43.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-03-28 at 3.43.20 PM.png (825.13 KiB) Viewed 8033 times
Screen Shot 2014-03-28 at 3.43.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-03-28 at 3.43.39 PM.png (890.21 KiB) Viewed 8033 times