Is anyone using MYM on Vista?

Running DOS versions of MYM on Windows Vista
jolleyg

Is anyone using MYM on Vista?

Post by jolleyg »

I actually have been working with a Windows version of MYM up till now. It was working fine on my XP machine. But then that machine died, and I now have a Vista computer. The Windows version won't run on that.

Does anyone have a version of MYM running on a Vista computer?

topdoggerel

Re: Is anyone using MYM on Vista?

Post by topdoggerel »

I'm running the DOS version on Vista Home basic. The graphics don't work (pie chart, etc.) and I haven't been using it for billpay or importing stock prices, so I don't know if the extra software I got from another website would work, but I especially like the reminders and inventory features. Those work fine.

jolleyg

Post by jolleyg »

On which website did you get the software? How do you download MYM on a Vista computer?

topdoggerel

Post by topdoggerel »

Sorry for the slow reply; I've been out of the country. I had MYM on my previous computer and just copied the files over. Manually created a icon for startup. That's about it. I copied over the same file structure that I had used on XP. The graphics displays don't work and I haven't tried the bill pay features.

Bernie157

Post by Bernie157 »

See my post on the topic Running MYM under Windows 7 or words to that effect.

In short it may be that your Vista is 64-bit which won't natively run DOS or early Windows 16-bit applications. You should be able to display whether your Vista is 32-bit or 64-bit using My Computer/Properties.
--------
Bernie in IL

glevison

Post by glevison »

I've been running MYM12 on VISTA for a few years now and I found that everything will work if I boot in safe mode. (I understand that there are some simulators such as DOSBOX which allow old DOS programs to function properly but I don't like to rely on such software).

I set up the properties so that the program starts in a window, then use alt-enter to get to full screen mode. This solves the problem of MYM using only half of the screen.

I usually run without safe mode if I only have a few items to enter, but I have to be careful not to go into any unsupported areas (graphics, etc.) or the program will terminate without saving the data, as will trying to use alt-enter to try full screen mode. If I want to use graphics and/or run full screen, then safe mode is the only way I've found. (A Geek Squad guy put me on to this).

(Enter safe mode by tapping F8 when starting the computer).

HAL

Post by HAL »

I have been using MYM12.1 on 2 XP machines, 2 Vistas and 1 Win 7. One Vista and the Win 7 are 64 BIT OSs and the other Vista is a 32 BIT. I use DOS BOX on all the Vista and Win 7 machines and have had few issues for a number of years. Use ("C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.72\dosbox.exe" "C:\MYM12\MYM.EXE") in the Short cut 'Target' and ("C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.72") in the Short cut 'Start" area. You can adjust the speed of Dos Box permanently with a file adjustment that I have forgotten right now but you can find the directions on Dos Box blogs.